loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Bellevue?

Professionals who operate in the City of Bellevue must be duly licensed and registered with the relevant licensing agency. The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries licenses and regulates 63 professional specialties, including roofing contractors, HVAC contractors, and mobile home set-up contractors offering services in Bellevue. Before hiring professionals in Bellevue, it is essential to verify that such professionals have been duly licensed, and you can verify their licenses through the verify a contractor tool provided by the state's Department of Labor & Industries.

In addition to verifying professional licenses, you are also required to obtain permits for your intended projects before commencing work. The type of project usually determines the type of permit you require. For instance, you will need permits if your projects involve building construction, modifications, and alteration. The City of Bellevue Department of Development Services is responsible for issuing permits for land and building development in the city. You can contact this department at (425) 452-4898 or via email to find out the relevant permits for your projects.

Do Bellevue Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Bellevue is made up of several organized organizations like homeowners associations, neighborhood associations, community clubs, and residents associations. However, none of these organizations have the authorization to issue permits to the city's residents or other interested parties. Nonetheless, these associations play an active role in the improvement of the livability of their respective neighborhoods. They also engage with the city through various neighborhood programs, like the city's Neighborhood Enhancement Program (NEP), allowing residents to propose development projects for their respective communities. For example, in October 2021, the city's Neighborhood Enhancement Program notified the West Bellevue residents that they would be getting four new development projects at the Chism Beach Park, South Bellevue Light Rail Station, West Bellevue Gateway, and Surrey Downs Park. Similarly, in January 2021, the Forest Highlands Homeowners' Association voted unanimously to dedicate some of the association's funds to support their community with food relief, donations, and to also support charities in tackling the community's unemployment rate. You can use the city's registered associations directory to get the contact information of the relevant organizations within your neighborhood.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Bellevue?

The Washington State Office of the Attorney General is charged with investigating complaints relating to unfair business practices and unscrupulous professionals in Bellevue. You can file complaints by completing an online consumer complaint form, or you can mail a completed printable consumer complaint form to the address provided at the bottom of the form.

When the Office of the Attorney General receives your complaint, it is assigned to a staff member for resolution. If the office cannot efficiently resolve the complaint, it will be forwarded to the appropriate agency. Note that if the subject of your complaint refutes your complaint, the Office of the Attorney General cannot compel this business or professional to take any actions towards resolving the matter. It is advisable for you to settle such disputes by bringing legal action against the subject of your complaint. Where the amount in dispute is not more than $10,000, you can file a small claims action without a lawyer at the King County District Court. However, if the amount in dispute is more than $10,000, you should retain a lawyer's services to advise you on other available legal options. You can use the free legal assistance webpage maintained by the King County Bar Association to access the pro bono services available for low-income earners in Bellevue if you fall into this category. Alternatively, you you can use the lawyer referral services of the King County Bar Association to search for, and consult with, qualified lawyers near you. You can contact the association for more information on its referral services at (206) 267-7010.