loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Everett?

Before hiring a professional in the City of Everett, it is always important to confirm if the individual is licensed. The Washington State Department of Licensing issues over 35 types of professional licenses across various cities in the state, including the City of Everett. Residents of Everett must understand that it is their responsibility to confirm that any individual they intend to hire has been properly licensed by the Washington State Department of Licensing. Failure to do this can lead to a variety of financial and legal liabilities. You can confirm the licensing status of professionals that you intend to hire by using the Washington State Department of Licensing's license lookup tool.

Once your professional's license status is confirmed, the next step to take is ensuring that this professional gets the necessary permits before starting the job. For example, it is mandatory to apply for and obtain a building permit for all home improvement and construction work in the City of Everett. Building permits are issued by the City of Everett Department of Public Works via its Permit Services Office. All queries concerning the processes and requirements for obtaining a building permit can be directed to the Permits Services Office by calling (425) 257-8810.

Do Everett Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are currently 19 neighborhoods in the City of Everett and each of these neighborhoods has its own neighborhood association. These neighborhood associations are created to encourage participation in city governance, foster a greater sense of belonging among residents of a neighborhood, and improve the quality of life in the neighborhood. For example, the Pinehurst-Beverley Park Neighborhood Association maintains a neighborhood cache with supplies that may be helpful to residents during disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes. In addition to preparing for emergencies, neighborhood associations also ensure that their community is clean and safe to live in. For example, the Westmont Holly Neighborhood Association collected 38 bags of trash, an old stroller frame, and an empty planter around the neighborhood in this year's annual campus clean-up. You can find links to registered neighborhood associations near you, as well as their meeting schedules on the City of Everett neighborhood associations page.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Everett?

Consumer complaints involving unfair and deceptive business practices in Everett are handled by the Consumer Protection Division of the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. You can file a complaint with the consumer protection division online, or by printing, downloading, completing, and mailing a consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • 800 5th Avenue
  • Suite 2000
  • Seattle, WA 98104-3188

Once your complaint is received, the division will investigate the matter to determine the best way to resolve it. The Consumer Protection Division of the Washington State Office of the Attorney General can help you recover funds from the business and also that the guilty party is punished. However, while the division may also file a legal action against the business, residents of Everett must understand that the division can not take up such action on their behalf. If you seek to file a personal legal action against a business, you should contact a private attorney for advice. You can file matters involving a total of $10,000 or less as small claims in Snohomish County District Court. Finally, you can report complaints involving criminal offenses to the Everett Police Department by calling (425) 257-8400.