loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Kent?

Residents of Kent who are planning a project are advised to ensure they engage the services of licensed professionals, as unlicensed professionals are more likely to perform a shoddy job. The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) oversees the licensing and regulation of professionals in Kent and directly administers more than 40 license types to qualified individuals. To effectively perform its licensing and regulation duties, the DOL partners with other state Departments such as the Department of Labor and Industries, which licenses construction-related professionals, and the Department of Health, which licenses healthcare-related professionals. To verify a professional's license, you can check the DOL license lookup webpage or contact the relevant DOL office. You can make further licensing inquiries by contacting the DOL Director's Office at (360) 902-3600 or faxing your inquiries to the Department at (360) 586-1596.

In addition to licensing requirements, you should further confirm whether there are permit requirements for your project. For example, construction professionals must get a building permit from the city's Permit Center before performing a home improvement or building-related job. Inquiries regarding these permits can be directed to the Permit Center at (253) 856-5412.

Do Kent Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are currently more than 20 recognized neighborhood councils in the City of Kent. These neighborhood councils typically encourage neighborhood residents' engagement in civic activities, such as election and city cleaning, and also present their neighborhood area's public needs to the city government. Residents can utilize the City of Kent's online neighborhood map to check all the recognized neighborhood councils, the constituent neighborhoods of each neighborhood council, and other information such as each neighborhood council's website and representative.

Although neighborhood councils help bring Kent residents closer to the city government, they do not issue home improvement permits. Nonetheless, they perform several roles that may involve encouraging infrastructure maintenance within their neighborhood areas. For example, the Lakes Neighborhood Council's Board of Directors proposed the 2021 Landscape Renewal Project, which involves removing shrubs and trees from certain areas, particularly areas with irrigation and pipe systems. The project aims to improve the beautification of the neighborhood area and prevent damage to irrigation infrastructure. Also, the Kent Downtown Neighborhood Council is organizing a clean-up meet in late November 2021. The clean-up meet will involve performing cleaning activities, such as trash pickups and sweeping, in the downtown area of Kent. Neighborhood residents can also register for the clean-up meet online.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Kent?

The Washington State Attorney General (AG) Office, through its Consumer Protection Division (CPD), addresses unfair business complaints from the City of Kent. The Division handles various consumer complaints, including general consumer complaints, manufactured housing complaints, and lemon law car complaints. Residents can proceed to file a general consumer complaint online or by mail. Online filings are done by filling and submitting the CPD's online complaint form, which is provided in English or Spanish. Residents who intend to submit by mail need to download a consumer complaint form, which is also provided in English or Spanish, fill the form, and mail it to

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • 800 5th Avenue
  • Suite 2000
  • Seattle, WA 98104-3188

For general inquiries and assistance with filing general consumer complaints or any other consumer complaint, you may contact the CPD by calling (800) 551-4636 or (206) 464-6684 for callers outside Washington State.

After receiving your complaint, the CPD will assess it and take the actions necessary to address the situation. Such actions may include commencing legal proceedings against the business or professional in your complaint or directly contacting them. You should note that measures taken by the CPD regarding your complaint are primarily in the public's interest, and you may not be personally compensated. If you seek compensation and your claim does not exceed $10,000, you can begin legal action against the business or professional at the King County District Court. Although a legal action may help you get compensation, it is recommended that you first consult a qualified attorney for legal advice.